Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Feeling Lucky

So the past few weeks have been rough. I quit my job of six years to take a new position at a job I thought I'd like more. And we all know how day jobs are. They get us the money we need to survive. However, I went from weekly paychecks to bi-monthly, so I'm struggling. Took a lot out of my savings. And am staring at my stack of bills thinking oh God, how will I get this done?

A girl from work walked with me down to the breakroom and said, "Hey, you know my sister, she's been living with us for a while, not working, not looking for work. Just there?"

I'm like, "Yeah." We both have these relatives in our lives.

My co-worker says, "She told me she was feeling lucky yesterday while we were at the gas station and asked me for $20. So I gave it to her. And she bought a lottery ticket."

I was like okay.

"She won $100,000."

Holy crap! Talk about fortune. I asked my co-worker if she was asking for any of the money since it was her $20 that paid for the ticket, and she said no. Talk about generocity.

I had to wonder how I'd react to such a windfall. Or if my sister got such a lucky break from something I'd given her. I don't think I'd demand anything back from it other than gratitute. She needs it more than me, since she's not working and has four kids.

Everyday we look at our own lives and grumble about the crappy hands we're dealt. But what about the small things that we are blessed with? How often do we look at those things and think "I'm feeling lucky"?

In truth I'm very lucky. I can afford to pay my bills and my rent and for food. Sometimes it's a struggle, but I have a beautiful home, I do hobbies freely. I don't have to work two jobs. I'm not sleeping under a bridge or starving every night. I will be a published author soon as I'm just proofing the galley for my first novella Inheritance. And I have a lot of great friends I've made over the years that support me and all my weird ideas.

If someone were to ask me today, do I feel lucky? I'd have to say yes. I feel damn lucky. I hope the rest of you can say so as well, because I'm so lucky to have you. :)

1 comment: