Monday, October 29, 2012

New personas?

So for those of you who don't know how the writing business works, it's a bit complicated. When I first started writing ages ago I figured I'd use my real name and it would be no big deal. 

Well then I was writing m/m and there's some sexual context and just so people don't discriminate against me as a person for my writing (I know, lame right?) I had to use a pen name, Lissa Kasey.

So now as I am walking into the world of young adult fiction I'm encountering the same issue. There's so much fear in people that oh a kid might go look up my adult stuff and read sex (I was reading sex by the time I was twelve so I really have no qualms about it myself), and how libraries and events might not want me around if they know that I'm Lissa Kasey the romance writer.

Now I face picking a new name. It's really not like being a superhero and trying to pick a new identity. It's really more to hide, which I hate doing.

I really wish that we could live in a world where this wasn't an issue. That if you didn't want your kid to read about sex you'd pay attention to what they read, not bitch at the author for writing a story that might interest your kid. I wish that I could just be me and not have to put on a different name or personality to do my job. And I wish that people would just like me for just me being me instead of having to be loud and in your face like people expect me to be.

Truthfully, I'm more like Seiran Rou than I let on. Anxiety issues, shy, and introverted, but good at acting out the role when necessary. I guess I keep hoping that someday I'll get to stop acting. For now I have to find another persona to inhabit.

No comments:

Post a Comment